Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Universal Language of Computer Viruses

I do alot of malware research in my spare time. As pointed out by one of the latest posts on spylogic.net, I'm somewhat known for it in the area (although legendary may be pushing it a little.) :)
However, it occurred to me last night how much malware has tied me into other people. For example, last night I was out getting a new phone. I was talking to the guy selling me the phone and ended up telling him I worked in computer security. He asked if I did anything with computer viruses. (I should have seen where this was going.)

When I told him I did, he said that he was using LimeWire to download a new Kevin Bacon movie (oops), but inadvertently installed a virus instead. He said his computer kept flashing on and off making it almost inoperable. I gave him a few suggestions and my card and told him that if those didn't work to email me.

I just think its funny how computer viruses have become a tying factor for me to others. :)

BTW, I'm going to try something new. For the next 30 days, I will be posting an entry every day. Don't expect these to be earth-shattering, but it will at least get me in the habit to keep this thing alive, which is what I intended it to be.

No comments: