Monday, May 19, 2008

Convert?

I've been running Linux for at least 10 years. My entire "Linux life" has either been on a RedHat derivative or Gentoo Linux (which is what I currently use). While I have tried Debian-based distro's in the past, I haven't liked them because they were so different from what I was used to.

So, when my laptop told me FAN ERROR today and refused to boot, I had to decide what I was going to do. I was starting a big project and needed to get a machine running quickly. Fortunately, my mac mini was at hand so I could get email right away, but its a PowerPC version and is not able to run VMWare, which is what I needed.

I had a machine lying around which was powerful enough for my needs. The problem was I needed to install some Linux variant and get it up and running shortly. Gentoo wouldn't work because compiling everything from scratch would take too long. Fedora has become too bloated for me and I didn't want to fool around with CentOS.

So I turned to Ubuntu.

I have to say I'm impressed. The whole install took less than 10 minutes and then I was up and running with all the apps I needed, minus VMWare. While I'm not 100% convinced that its for me, I have to admit I may try it out the next time I decide to switch my distros.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was using gentoo on everything up until about a year and a half ago, I guess, when I got tired of compiling everything on all the boxen I have (mine, my wife's the kid's two). So I switched to Kubuntu(being a KDE user).

Recently I have also found that for small vps servers I'm going with ubuntu. I have a couple of 6-11 dollar vps servers(customer servers actually) that have very limited memory. Ubuntu works great on these.

Real servers still run Gentoo tho.

Anonymous said...

I find myself using Ubuntu more and more...8.04 installs so easy it's scary! :)